The Official RONR Q & A Forums

A Cunning Plan

BabbsJohnson

Would it be too sneaky to set up with a fellow board member, a moment in which a point of order could be called, to allow the chair to respond?

(see if they respond, and how?)

What of the possibility that the chair just basically says in however many words, that we don’t do that here (or just refuses to respond, shrugs and shakes her head)

3 minutes ago, Nosey said:

Would it be too sneaky to set up with a fellow board member, a moment in which a point of order could be called, to allow the chair to respond?

(see if they respond, and how?)

Based on your previous threads, it sounds to me that you will have plenty of opportunities for a Point of Order arise naturally, but I have no objection to this tactic.

3 minutes ago, Nosey said:

What of the possibility that the chair just basically says in however many words, that we don’t do that here (or just refuses to respond, shrugs and shakes her head)

See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 650-653.

54 minutes ago, Nosey said:

50 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

Based on your previous threads, it sounds to me that you will have plenty of opportunities for a Point of Order arise naturally, but I have no objection to this tactic.

I agree with Mr. Martin's position on this.  In addition, we regularly advise visitors and new members who are complaining about their organization or its presiding officer not following proper procedure to be fully prepared when challenging the chair.  We say, in essence, that you should wait for the right opportunity and have your ducks lined up.  By that, we mean you should know exactly what your point of order is, you should be able to state it clearly and maybe point it out in RONR, and in the event you decide to appeal the ruling of the chair you need to know how (and when) to do it, you need someone who will quickly second your appeal, and, ideally, you need some fellow members who will speak in behalf of your position during the debate on  the appeal.    Since it often takes talking with fellow members and planning to  pull that off, I would say that it is absolutely proper for you and a few fellow members to plan in advance and to be watching for the perfect opportunity to raise a point of order and to be ready to appeal from the ruling of the chair.

In my opinion It is not unsavory to actually set up such a scenario by someone making a legitimate and non-dilatory motion to use as the basis for a point of order and appeal based on what you expect the chair's reaction to the motion (or the point of order) to be. 

1 hour ago, Richard Brown said:

In addition, we regularly advise visitors and new members who are complaining about their organization or its presiding officer not following proper procedure to be fully prepared when challenging the chair.  We say, in essence, that you should wait for the right opportunity and have your ducks lined up. 

I concur with this, including the advice about reading up on Point of Order and Appeal and finding supporters, but I would also note that since the OP anticipates that the chair may simply refuse to acknowledge the Point of Order, some additional reading concerning the procedures for handling abuse of the authority by the chair may also be necessary.

Edited by Josh Martin

1 hour ago, Josh Martin said:

I concur with this, including the advice about reading up on Point of Order and Appeal and finding supporters, but I would also note that since the OP anticipates that the chair may simply refuse to acknowledge the Point of Order, some additional reading concerning the procedures for handling abuse of the authority by the chair may also be necessary.

I am not neccessarily looking for a "gotcha" moment, just to be clear.

I am wanting for the chair to gain practice to hearing it, responding, ruling on it, and so on.

I'd even propose sessions where we "practice" doing such things, even if it seemed or felt silly.

I'm sure there are some people who resist using RONR because they may feel silly using official terms and saying bits that sounds like script. 

But saying it a few times, or practicing with other might make it feel less so.

1 hour ago, Nosey said:

I'd even propose sessions where we "practice" doing such things, even if it seemed or felt silly.

Can OP Nosey get a copy of Parliamentary Practice and use that as a basis for some teaching sessions? Where would we find one these days?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.