The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Submitting motions before a general meeting

Guest Learning_the_ropes

Guest Learning_the_ropes

I'm going in circles trying to find answers to a few questions that are pertinent to my organization as we gear up for our biennial general meeting. 

1. Is there a "best practices" process governing the procedure for making a motion, meaning can we require our Bylaws committee to review the proposal prior to the general meeting to verify it is not out of order, or do we allow any motion-maker to make the motion from the floor without prior review? The thinking was to invite people who wish to make a motion at the meeting to head over to a table where the bylaws committee will sit, review the proposed motion, and if it is not out of order have the individual present the motion to members. (By way of history: We unfortunately have a long record of many out-of-order motions that clog the proceedings.)

2. Can we invite members who cannot attend the general meeting to submit motions electronically that would then undergo the same process as in-person motions? RRO is silent on this issue as far as I've been able to determine, and our bylaws also do not address it. 

I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Since you meet only every two years, the chances are pretty good (based on my experience) that there are existing practices and procedures already in place, either as a set of standing rules or "traditional" rules that may spell out how things, motions, proposals, are brought to the meeting.  And dealt with in the meeting(s).  Does your organization (if big enough) have a paid staff and perhaps an office somewhere.  I would start there and see if they can answer any of your questions.

If not, come on back here and we will do what we can...  (Your questions are quite broad .)

35 minutes ago, Guest Learning_the_ropes said:

1. Is there a "best practices" process governing the procedure for making a motion, meaning can we require our Bylaws committee to review the proposal prior to the general meeting to verify it is not out of order, or do we allow any motion-maker to make the motion from the floor without prior review?

So far as RONR is concerned, it is indeed generally permitted for any member to make a motion from the floor without prior review. In some cases (such as for bylaw amendments) RONR or the organization’s rules require previous notice for certain motions (such as bylaw amendments), or at least such notice is desirable, since it reduces the threshold required for adoption. No rule in RONR requires that motions be submitted to a committee for review, but many organizations adopt such rules.

If your organization wishes to adopt a rule requiring that motions (or certain categories of motions) be submitted to the Bylaws committee “to review the proposal prior to the general meeting to verify it is not out of order,” it is free to do so. This would be a special rule of order, and would require a 2/3 vote with notice or a vote of a majority of the entire membership for adoption. It could also be adopted as an amendment to the bylaws, and your bylaws should specify how they are amended.

41 minutes ago, Guest Learning_the_ropes said:

2. Can we invite members who cannot attend the general meeting to submit motions electronically that would then undergo the same process as in-person motions? RRO is silent on this issue as far as I've been able to determine, and our bylaws also do not address it. 

The rule described above could certainly permit any members to submit motions to the bylaws committee “to review the proposal prior to the general meeting to verify it is not out of order,” whether or not those members anticipate that they will attend the general meeting. At the meeting itself, however, some member who is actually present will need to make the motion at that time, which may or may not be the same member who originally submitted the motion.

I concur with Dr. Stackpole, however, that you should first check to see whether the organization has already adopted rules on these subjects.

While I agree completely with the foregoing responses, I urge you to use caution and to be careful of the wording of a rule requiring proposed motions to first be referred to the bylaws committee or any other committee for review prior to being submitted to the assembly. Specifically, just what power is this committee to have if it believes a motion is out of order or improper in some way?  Do you propose that this committee have "veto power" over proposed motions or that its opinions be advisory only?  Will it have the power to actually modify proposed motions or just to suggest changes?   You can get into a real minefield when it comes to just what power this committee will have over proposed motions.   I suggest that the power of the committee be very carefully spelled out.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.