The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Corruption within boards of directors

Guest I.R

Hello,

I am an employee with a non profit organization. Our board of directors is ruining the agency.  They are so corrupt we have lost 5 staff people and they are being sued by 3 of them.  There are 3 key players on the board that are causing serious disturbances here.  There are conflicts of interest as well two of the board members have a sexual Harassment complaint against them in which they are personally named.   Why are they still on our board?  What action can we take to have them removed?!  We need help!

56 minutes ago, Guest I.R said:

Hello,

I am an employee with a non profit organization. Our board of directors is ruining the agency.  They are so corrupt we have lost 5 staff people and they are being sued by 3 of them.  There are 3 key players on the board that are causing serious disturbances here.  There are conflicts of interest as well two of the board members have a sexual Harassment complaint against them in which they are personally named.   Why are they still on our board?  What action can we take to have them removed?!  We need help!

Who are "we"? 

Can members request an AGM? Actually you're asking if members can call a special meeting. The answer to that is in your organization's bylaws, and if they can the bylaws should also tell you what is required to call a special meeting.

Can the members vote a member of the board off before their term expires? Same answer as above.

If the employees are not members, they can do neither of these things. Employees have other ways of enforcing their rights and expressing their complaints, that are beyond this forum. In this case, that may or may not include directly communicating with the membership, which it sounds like you were asking in your last sentence.

Edited by Atul Kapur

On 7/17/2019 at 12:20 PM, Guest I.R said:

The employees can’t remove the board members. As to the membership removing them, see FAQ #20.

2 hours ago, Guest I.R said:

The employees that remain are the “we”.   So if we can raise the membership we can have the voting members call an AGM and request to vote people off the board?

You will have to check your bylaws to see whether (and how) a special meeting may be called. Alternately, action could be taken at a regular meeting.

As for the process of removal, see FAQ #20.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.