The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Handwritten Notes

JaniceH

Hello,

I am the recording secretary for a government agency in Canada.  Last month we had a delegate give a presentation and the BOD response was to not grant him his request.  The delegate wasn't too pleased and made accusatory remarks against a couple of the directors and against the chair.  Using the Freedom of Information request procedure he requested a copy of my hand written draft notes.  My question is, are my notes part of the public record? 

I tend to write a lot of conversation down in order to help with context when completing the typed draft minutes, and I understand that much of what I write will not be included in the actual published minutes.  If these notes are public record then in future I will have to be more brief during the meeting as to what I record. 

17 minutes ago, JaniceH said:

I am the recording secretary for a government agency in Canada.  Last month we had a delegate give a presentation and the BOD response was to not grant him his request.  The delegate wasn't too pleased and made accusatory remarks against a couple of the directors and against the chair.  Using the Freedom of Information request procedure he requested a copy of my hand written draft notes.  My question is, are my notes part of the public record? 

This is not a question regarding RONR, but is instead regarding applicable law, and is therefore beyond the scope of this forum. I suggest consulting an attorney.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.