The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When to Release Minutes

Guest ERB

Our non-profit holds monthly board meetings.  We have been under the impression that we should only release meeting mutes to the full membership after they have been approved, which means a one month lag.  I can only find information on when to release minutes to meeting attendees, which is suggested with 24-48 hours if possible.  Is it appropriate to release "unapproved" minutes to non-attendees (i.e., the full membership) in the same time frame as long as the minutes are notated as "unapproved"?  I would prefer this approach.

4 minutes ago, Guest ERB said:

Our non-profit holds monthly board meetings.  We have been under the impression that we should only release meeting mutes to the full membership after they have been approved, which means a one month lag.  I can only find information on when to release minutes to meeting attendees, which is suggested with 24-48 hours if possible.  Is it appropriate to release "unapproved" minutes to non-attendees (i.e., the full membership) in the same time frame as long as the minutes are notated as "unapproved"?  I would prefer this approach.

Nothing in RONR requires that the board release its minutes to the full membership at all. The board is free to adopt its own rules on this matter if it wishes, including releasing the draft minutes, which should be clearly marked as such. I have no objection to using “unapproved” instead of “draft”.

Edited by Josh Martin

1 hour ago, Guest Zev said:

A simple list of the board's actions might also be considered, omitting the extra verbiage found in formal minutes.

But the question of whether corrections may yet be made to this simple list is equally problematic.  This list had better still be identified as preliminary/draft/unapproved, i.e. subject to correction when the minutes are approved.

2 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

But the question of whether corrections may yet be made to this simple list is equally problematic.  This list had better still be identified as preliminary/draft/unapproved, i.e. subject to correction when the minutes are approved.

I agree that it might be problematic. Please observe that I said "the board's actions" and also observe that the OP mentions that the board is informing the assembly of what took place in the board's meeting. I would suspect that if the membership received a draft or the suggested summary and they had some difference of opinion then the assembly would be unable to do anything about it since what was presented was the board's minutes and not the assembly's minutes. The assembly could order the board to perform a different act, but the minutes are still the board's minutes and not the assembly's. Could the assembly order a redaction of the board's minutes? I suppose they could, especially in cases where the board's minutes are made known to outsiders. Otherwise I fail to see anything useful flowing from it. And yet, perhaps there is.

4 hours ago, Guest Zev said:

A simple list of the board's actions might also be considered, omitting the extra verbiage found in formal minutes.

There shouldn’t be much extra beyond “a simple list of the board’s actions” if the Secretary is following the rules in RONR.

17 minutes ago, Guest Zev said:

I agree that it might be problematic. Please observe that I said "the board's actions" and also observe that the OP mentions that the board is informing the assembly of what took place in the board's meeting. I would suspect that if the membership received a draft or the suggested summary and they had some difference of opinion then the assembly would be unable to do anything about it since what was presented was the board's minutes and not the assembly's minutes. The assembly could order the board to perform a different act, but the minutes are still the board's minutes and not the assembly's. Could the assembly order a redaction of the board's minutes? I suppose they could, especially in cases where the board's minutes are made known to outsiders. Otherwise I fail to see anything useful flowing from it. And yet, perhaps there is.

This seems to be going down a rabbit hole. :)

All Mr. Novosielski was saying is that a “list of the board’s actions,” which is presumably compiled based upon the draft minutes, should be marked as “draft” in the same manner as draft minutes, since if there is an error in the draft minutes (perhaps the wording of a motion is incorrect), the error will likely also be present in the list.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.