The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Secretary signature on meeting minutes requirement

Guest Derrick0101

I am Still reading and trying to learn Robert's Rules as a newly appointed secretary for a non profit organization. 

I know that the secretary signature is required on approved meeting minutes and that the president can also sign them is requested by the assembly. My question is this: If there is no signature on the minutes, by anyone, are the minutes official record and do the motions contained within those minutes still take affect? 

The reason I am asking: looking through the minutes from my predecessor,  there are no signatures on any of them.

RONR citations would be great so I can present this with referencable facts. Thank you, in advance, for your help with this. 

11 minutes ago, Guest Derrick0101 said:

are the minutes official record and do the motions contained within those minutes still take affect? 

Yes, so long as they were adopted by the body. It is adoption, not the signature, that makes them effective. The signature witnesses that. As to the motions, they take effect immediately, and are effective even if the minutes were not adopted, let alone signed.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.