The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Naming a Step

Guest Susie

The city Planning Commission considers ordinances , composes the wording , holds the public hearings, and votes for approval. The City Council then “ gets” the ordinance and gives final approval. 

Two fence ordinances have been considered. One was approved by the Commission unanimously. The other one was very controversial and was not approved by the Commission. (Tie vote)  Still, both were placed  on the City Council’s agenda the next week, where ironically, the controversial one was tabled for next meeting. 

My question is: should there have been another step (a motion) to even refer each  ordinance to City Council?  The first one would have been sent to Council, the second one needed more consideration. I have never heard a motion to send it to Council. (Typically, I have never seen an ordinance “sent” to Council unless it was approved by the Commission) 

18 minutes ago, Guest Susie said:

My question is: should there have been another step (a motion) to even refer each  ordinance to City Council?  The first one would have been sent to Council, the second one needed more consideration. I have never heard a motion to send it to Council. (Typically, I have never seen an ordinance “sent” to Council unless it was approved by the Commission) 

I suspect the answer to that question will be found in your city's own charter, ordinances or rules.  In my experience, cities usually have very specific procedures for how a proposed ordinance gets from a planning commission (or other similar board or commission or committee) to the city council.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.