The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Clarification on p. 183

Alex Meed

RONR (11th ed.), p. 183, ll. 7–14, provide in relevant part:

In a case where more than a quarterly time interval ... will elapse between meetings..., a question cannot be postponed beyond the end of the present session. In cases where no more than a quarterly time interval ... will elapse between sessions, a question can be postponed until, but not beyond, the next regular business session.

Should the first "meetings" be "sessions"? Or is the first sentence intended not to apply to two meetings in the same session being held within a quarterly time interval, even if the next session will not be within a quarterly time interval?

18 minutes ago, Alex M. said:

RONR (11th ed.), p. 183, ll. 7–14, provide in relevant part:

In a case where more than a quarterly time interval ... will elapse between meetings..., a question cannot be postponed beyond the end of the present session. In cases where no more than a quarterly time interval ... will elapse between sessions, a question can be postponed until, but not beyond, the next regular business session.

Should the first "meetings" be "sessions"? Or is the first sentence intended not to apply to two meetings in the same session being held within a quarterly time interval, even if the next session will not be within a quarterly time interval?

I don't think that anything is intended here that is different from the rules stated on page 90, line 9 to page 91, line 12.

I'm not sure why the word "meeting" is used instead of session, but I don't see a practical difference here. In terms of the ability to postpone a question from one session to another, what matters is the interval between the two sessions — that is, between the end of the last (or only) meeting of the first session and the beginning of the first (or only) meeting of the second session.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.