The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Two-thirds vote present and cast

anon

My condominium bylaws, Section 2.7 Majority Vote, states "Except as otherwise provided by statute, by the Declaration, or by these Bylaws, passage of any matter submitted to vote at a meeting where a quorum is in attendance shall require the affirmative vote of at least fifty-one percent (51%) of the voting interest present." Bylaws Section 2.9 Parliamentary Authority, states "In the event of dispute, the parliamentary authority of meetings shall be the most current available edition of Robert's Rules of Order."

When RONR requires a two-thirds vote for an incidental motion, such as limiting debate, is it safe to assume the count must be from votes present and cast (vice votes present)?

I'm not sure that what RONR says is at all relevant in this situation. Bylaws supersede the Parliamentary Authority and the bylaws here are pretty clear on the requirements for "passage of any matter submitted to vote."

Incidental motions would seem to be included in that term ("any matter submitted to vote"). So the vote requirement in the bylaws would seem to apply to them.

Edited by Atul Kapur

Sounds like there may be a difference of opinion on this forum regarding how to interpret the bylaws.

Is the primary focus on the words "at least" 51% of the voting interest present? In other words, if RONR requires a two-thirds vote as a percentage of votes cast then this would apply as long as it exceeds 51% of the voting interest present?

What a mess...

6 minutes ago, anon said:

Sounds like there may be a difference of opinion on this forum regarding how to interpret the bylaws.

But we can't interpret your bylaws, only your organization can.

7 minutes ago, anon said:

Is the primary focus on the words "at least" 51% of the voting interest present? In other words, if RONR requires a two-thirds vote as a percentage of votes cast then this would apply as long as it exceeds 51% of the voting interest present?

No, I don't think that's the primary focus - nor does "at least 51%" imply that it must exceed 51%. The primary focus, if I were to attempt to interpret this bylaw, would be on the word "matter."

The attempt of section 2.7 to redefine what constitutes a majority and to cast it in terms of fifty-one percent in the negative for rejection is highly unfortunate and has created a situation whereby the conundrum of less than a majority in favor and less than fifty-one percent against neither adopts nor rejects the measure. My suggestion is to simply delete section 2.7 and be done with this illogical experiment.

On 12/26/2019 at 4:02 PM, anon said:

My condominium bylaws, Section 2.7 Majority Vote, states "Except as otherwise provided by statute, by the Declaration, or by these Bylaws, passage of any matter submitted to vote at a meeting where a quorum is in attendance shall require the affirmative vote of at least fifty-one percent (51%) of the voting interest present." Bylaws Section 2.9 Parliamentary Authority, states "In the event of dispute, the parliamentary authority of meetings shall be the most current available edition of Robert's Rules of Order."

When RONR requires a two-thirds vote for an incidental motion, such as limiting debate, is it safe to assume the count must be from votes present and cast (vice votes present)?

On the contrary, it seems to me that unless otherwise provided by statute, by the declaration, or by the bylaws, “the affirmative vote of at least fifty-one percent (51%) of the voting interest present” is required, regardless of what RONR says. The bylaws take precedence over RONR.

On 12/27/2019 at 5:45 PM, Guest Zev said:

The attempt of section 2.7 to redefine what constitutes a majority and to cast it in terms of fifty-one percent in the negative for rejection is highly unfortunate and has created a situation whereby the conundrum of less than a majority in favor and less than fifty-one percent against neither adopts nor rejects the measure. My suggestion is to simply delete section 2.7 and be done with this illogical experiment.

I don’t see the part about 51% in the negative for rejection. It says that adoption “shall require the affirmative vote of at least fifty-one percent (51%) of the voting interest present.” I agree, however, that the simplest solution to this problem is to delete the section in question.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 12/27/2019 at 3:45 PM, Guest Zev said:

Sorry for the confusion Zev. I posted another thread "Absent a Quorum." That is where a negative vote scenario was discussed.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.