The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Changing a vote by mail vote

Doug Rapport

I don't have the book in front of me but, as a practical matter, why don't you ask the person who's trying to change their vote how they intend to identify exactly which one of the secret ballots was theirs?

The analogy is when the ballot is put in the ballot box. No one gets to fish in and try to pull their ballot back out.

Edited by Atul Kapur

2 hours ago, J. J. said:

No, especially if this was a secret ballot vote.

12 minutes ago, Atul Kapur said:

I don't have the book in front of me but, as a practical matter, why don't you ask the person who's trying to change their vote how they intend to identify exactly which one of the secret ballots was theirs?

The analogy is when the ballot is put in the ballot box. No one gets to fish in and try to pull their ballad back out.

I concur generally with the idea that a secret ballot vote cannot be changed once cast.

I would note that in the particular case of a mail vote, however, it may or may not be feasible for a member to change their vote, depending on the procedures the society uses for the mail vote and where the society is at in that process.

1 hour ago, Doug Rapport said:

Thanks J.J.  Yes it is a secret ballot.  Can you please point me to the applicable section where it says this?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no rule in RONR explicitly regarding this subject.

Edited by Josh Martin

4 minutes ago, J. J. said:

I agree, but I would note that the ability to change a vote is described in the context of a non-secret vote. 

True, but for a mail-in vote, depending on the procedures in use, it may be possible to identify the sender of an envelope before the outer envelopes are opened and the identity of the sender lost.

5 minutes ago, Doug Rapport said:

Oh maybe I did not understand what was meant by secret ballot.  The tabulator knows how each person voted, the votes are not made public or divulged to the other members.

That sounds like some procedures could use some touching up.  There is no reason why a tabulator should be able to know how someone voted if the mail-in procedures in RONR are followed.  Once the outer envelopes are opened, and the inner envelopes are mixed together, nobody can tie a vote back to its voter.

If a voter wanted to change a vote, the tabulator could identify that envelope if it had a return address, and return or destroy it unopened.  The voter would then vote again.  Nobody would know how the voter voted either time.

Note: This is not meant to imply that the voter has such a right, but only whether it could be accomodated.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

2 hours ago, Doug Rapport said:

Oh maybe I did not understand what was meant by secret ballot.  The tabulator knows how each person voted, the votes are not made public or divulged to the other members.

Well, that does seem to answer the immediate question - it is possible for the member to change his vote.

The procedures should be modified in the future, however, so that the tabulator does not know how each member voted.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.