The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Annual Meeting agenda questions

Guest Marti K

Our organization holds an Annual Meeting of the Society. All business during the year is dealt with by monthly meetings of the Board.  Does this mean that the Annual Meeting agenda does not include Unfinished Business? 

Thank you

15 hours ago, Guest Marti K said:

Our organization holds an Annual Meeting of the Society. All business during the year is dealt with by monthly meetings of the Board.  Does this mean that the Annual Meeting agenda does not include Unfinished Business? 

Thank you

It is advisable to include such a provision.  See RONR (11th ed.), pp. 374-375

46 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

But if the assembly only meets once a year, there wouldn't be any unfinished business (unless the annual meeting takes place over multiple days). Since the assembly meets less often than quarterly, business which is pending at the time of adjournment or which is set as an order of the day but not reached prior to adjournment falls to the ground.

4 hours ago, George Mervosh said:

Unfortunately, I am only current to the 10th edition. My online search was fruitless to find the referred pages.

Plus I asked a question in the negative. To reframe my query, is it allowed to include Unfinished Business on the agenda for Annual Meeting of the Society? 

This also prompts me to make sure our bylaws are updated to 11th Edition. Would this require a vote or is it considered a small change of "grammatical" issue?

1 minute ago, Guest Marti K said:

Unfortunately, I am only current to the 10th edition. My online search was fruitless to find the referred pages.

Plus I asked a question in the negative. To reframe my query, is it allowed to include Unfinished Business on the agenda for Annual Meeting of the Society? 

It's allowed and advisable.  In the 10th Edition, see p. 361, lines 24ff

2 minutes ago, Guest Marti K said:

This also prompts me to make sure our bylaws are updated to 11th Edition. Would this require a vote or is it considered a small change of "grammatical" issue?

It requires a full bylaw change according to whatever amendment procedure your bylaws contain, but you should consider not adopting a specific edition, especially since the 12th edition will likely be out later this year.  See this https://robertsrules.com/authority.html

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.