The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Directors knowing there is a infraction

Guest John Anthony

Guest John Anthony

I am a board recorder for my board at our yacht club. And we had an issue with a member violating  a club policy rule under behavior. The question I have is can the board welling and knowing that this member has violated a club policy? Isn't a rule of conduct to up hold in there position that a Robert rule of order would make them make a motion to send a warning letter? For the record? I understand that the board does not need to vote yes to send a letter but obligated to make such motion?

20 minutes ago, Guest John Anthony said:

I am a board recorder for my board at our yacht club. And we had an issue with a member violating  a club policy rule under behavior. The question I have is can the board welling and knowing that this member has violated a club policy? Isn't a rule of conduct to up hold in there position that a Robert rule of order would make them make a motion to send a warning letter? For the record? I understand that the board does not need to vote yes to send a letter but obligated to make such motion?

No, there is nothing in RONR which requires a member to make a motion to send a warning letter. It is up to the society to determine how (or if) to enforce its own rules and discipline its members.

13 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

No, there is nothing in RONR which requires a member to make a motion to send a warning letter. It is up to the society to determine how (or if) to enforce its own rules and discipline its members.

I am a bit uncomfortable with a couple of aspects of this answer. First, I don’t think we can say without more information  that it is OK for an officer, such as the president, to send a warning letter to a member, especially if it is being sent on behalf of the organization. In that case, the warning letter sounds to me a bit like censure. I do agree that the president or any other member could privately write to this member and say something to the effect that “I have a problem with your behavior and if you keep it up I may pursue disciplinary action”.

as to the disciplining of members, if the organization does have its own rules on discipline, then of course they should be followed. However, if the organization does not have its own rules, and if RONR has been adopted as the parliamentary authority, then the procedures outlined in chapter XX of RONR on discipline should be followed. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.