The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Campaigning

Guest Michele Brown

5 minutes ago, Guest Michele Brown said:

I don’t see anything in Robert’s Rules of Order about campaigning. Should campaigning stop once a ballot is opened?

RONR has no rules regarding campaigning.  It only notes interruptions are not permitted while a vote is being conducted in a meeting.  What does "once a ballot is opened" mean?

Guest Michele Brown
16 minutes ago, Guest Michele Brown said:

I don’t see anything in Robert’s Rules of Order about campaigning. Should campaigning stop once a ballot is opened?

In our last sorority meeting, we conducted campaign speeches and questions. Once we opened the ballot for voting. There was a tie. They allowed the two people to give a final “persuasive” speech via email after the tie was announced and then everyone voted again. I believe that was wrong because we were in the middle of voting and campaigning should have ceased. 

19 minutes ago, Guest Michele Brown said:

In our last sorority meeting, we conducted campaign speeches and questions. Once we opened the ballot for voting. There was a tie. They allowed the two people to give a final “persuasive” speech via email after the tie was announced and then everyone voted again. I believe that was wrong because we were in the middle of voting and campaigning should have ceased. 

Debate regarding nominees is only proper when nominations themselves are still open, or reopened and I have no idea how you give a speech via email.  Either way it's far too late to be worried about this.  Now if you voted by email or some other absentee method and the bylaws don't expressly allow for it, that's your real problem.

Edited by George Mervosh

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.