The Official RONR Q & A Forums

adjourned meeting

Fred H

4 hours ago, Fred H said:

What is the effect on and the status of a meeting which was unilaterally adjourned by the Chair without a motion to adjourn, a second, and a vote?

Well, I expect the status at this point is that the meeting is adjourned. Even if the chair did not act properly in declaring the meeting to be adjourned, if everyone leaves, the meeting is adjourned.

I suppose what you really want to know, however, is whether the chair acted properly by unilaterally declaring the meeting adjourned. It depends. The chair may unilaterally declare a meeting adjourned in the following circumstances:

1) In "an ordinary local society that normally goes through a complete order of business at each regular meeting," the order of business has been completed, and when the chair asks if there is any further business, no one responds. (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 241)

2) The assembly has previously established a time for adjournment and that time has arrived.

3) There is an emergency (such as a fire or riot) and it would endanger the safety of the members to take the time to vote on adjournment.

In other circumstances, it is up to the assembly to decide whether to adjourn, and a member could raise a Point of Order (followed by an Appeal if necessary) if the chair attempted to declare the meeting adjourned on his own.

Edited by Josh Martin

Josh Martin - Thanks for the info. I read the section of RRs that you cited. I failed to mention two factors: 1) it was an officially called special on-line video meeting and 2) the chair, as host, ended the meeting while discussion was occuring and questions were being asked. The chair unceremoniously ended the meeting.

1 hour ago, Fred H said:

Josh Martin - Thanks for the info. I read the section of RRs that you cited. I failed to mention two factors: 1) it was an officially called special on-line video meeting and 2) the chair, as host, ended the meeting while discussion was occuring and questions were being asked. The chair unceremoniously ended the meeting.

For starters, it should be noted that online meetings are not permitted unless authorized by your bylaws.

Aside from that, it certainly seems clear based on these facts that the chair acted highly improperly, however, the status of the meeting at this point is that the meeting is adjourned.

See FAQ #20.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.