The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Incidental Main Motions

Tomm

Would I be correct to argue that a motion to Amend a Bylaw or other such pre-established, pre existing Special Rule of Order, Standing Rule etc. is really an Incidental Main Motion.

It's not correct to simply make a motion to (i.e "Amend Article II, Section 3 by striking out the words.....") the motion should actually be, "I move to Amend Something Previously Adopted by amending Article II, Section 3 by striking out the words....."?

1 hour ago, Tomm said:

Would I be correct to argue that a motion to Amend a Bylaw or other such pre-established, pre existing Special Rule of Order, Standing Rule etc. is really an Incidental Main Motion.

Shouldn't be much of an argument. Just quote RONR (12th ed.) 35:1, ". . . the motions to Rescind and to Amend Something Previously Adopted—which are two forms of one incidental main motion . . ."

But why are you arguing this point? What difference does it make in your situation?

1 hour ago, Tomm said:

It's not correct to simply make a motion to (i.e "Amend Article II, Section 3 by striking out the words.....") the motion should actually be, "I move to Amend Something Previously Adopted by amending Article II, Section 3 by striking out the words....."?

That's not what RONR (12th ed.) 35:9 says when giving the Form and Example for this motion, "In a great many instances, the motion or resolution originally adopted is not referred to, and only the bylaw, rule, or policy to be rescinded or amended is mentioned. For example:

MEMBER A (obtaining the floor): In accordance with the notice given in the call of this meeting, I move to amend Article V, Section 3 of the bylaws by striking out subparagraph (c) thereof. (Second.)"

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.