The Official RONR Q & A Forums

members have different experience with RONR

Denise H.

This question is not specific to a particular rule, so I hope it is appropriate.  Just wanted any suggestions on how to assist the chair in executing meetings where members who do not understand RONR or are not proficient are not "run-over" by those who use the rules in a way where the net effect is that less proficient members may not feel comfortable speaking up or voicing their view because they do not know the "RONR language" .  I hope this makes sense.

Oh, it makes perfect sense.

I do wonder why the presiding officer needs an assist. Does this person really have any business being in the chair? Is he familiar with the book? Does he have a copy at hand during each meeting?

I have, in the past, recommended that groups of an appropriate size establish a standing committee tasked with continuing education in parliamentary procedure. One effect of such a committee should be to "level out the playing field", so to speak, so that Smarty Pants doesn't "run over" the other disarmed, frustrated members. The forms that this continuing education takes can be adapted to the nature and size of the group, the characteristics of the members, and the types of resources available.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.