The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ratification of Bylaws Changes

Guest Sophia

9 hours ago, Guest Sophia said:

If changes to an assembly's Bylaws must be ratified by a parent assembly, do the Bylaws changes take effect when the assembly votes on them or only after the parent assembly ratifies them?

Well, if bylaw amendments must be ratified in order to become effective, then they will not become effective unless and until they are ratified.

24 minutes ago, Guest Sophia said:

I guess that is the reason for my question. We were told we had to submit or Bylaws for ratification, but this requirement does not appear in the parent organization's Bylaws. So it's unclear to me if the ratification is required to make them effective or not.

Well, you may rest assured that nothing in Robert's Rules requires that amendments to your bylaws must be ratified by your parent organization.

14 hours ago, Guest Sophia said:

If changes to an assembly's Bylaws must be ratified by a parent assembly, do the Bylaws changes take effect when the assembly votes on them or only after the parent assembly ratifies them?

39 minutes ago, Guest Sophia said:

I guess that is the reason for my question. We were told we had to submit or Bylaws for ratification, but this requirement does not appear in the parent organization's Bylaws. So it's unclear to me if the ratification is required to make them effective or not.

I think there are two separate questions here. One question is whether ratification is required in the first place. No rule in RONR requires that the bylaws of a subordinate chapter be ratified by the parent organization. If such a rule exists, it would need to be in the rules of your society or the rules of your parent organization.

The second question is when the bylaw amendments take effect in the event that ratification is required. RONR provides that when ratification is required, the changes are not effective until they are ratified.

"The motion to ratify (also called approve or confirm) is an incidental main motion that is used to confirm or make valid an action already taken that cannot become valid until approved by the assembly." RONR (12th ed.) 10:54

So I think the next step is to ask whoever told you that you had to submit your bylaws for ratification to show you the rule which says so.

Agreeing with Mr. Honemann, any such requirement would have to be contained in the rules of the parent assembly. It is further my opinion that such a provision would have to be contained in the bylaws of the parent assembly and not in some lesser rule, unless the bylaws of the parent assembly specifically grant it  the power to adopt rules regarding approving the bylaws of affiliates. 

Ask the representative of the parent organization to provide you with a citation to and a direct quote of the rule upon which they are relying.

Edited to add: Based upon your statement that the bylaws of the parent organization contain no Provision requiring ratification, it is my opinion that your bylaw amendments became effective upon adoption unless the bylaws of the parent organization contain a provision permitting it to adopt rules regarding approving bylaws of affiliate organizations and that it has adopted such a rule.

Mr. Martin posted his last comment as I was typing mine. I agree with his comments as well as with those of Mr. Honemann.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last two paragraphs and made typographical correction

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.