The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Small Board

David1966

I don't think small board rules work differently for boards of faith-based organizations than they do for other organizations. What matters is the entity's size, not the content of its deliberations. Do you have any specific concerns about using small board rules in certain organizations?

Full disclosure: I am a mid-council executive in a mainline protestant church. I also serve a variety of secular organizations.  

14 hours ago, David1966 said:

How well do small board rules work for places of worship? Do modified large board rules work better?

I don't see any reason why the fact that an organization is a place of worship would affect how well the small board rules would work.

I also don't quite know what you mean by "modified large board rules." Modified in what way? The small board rules, for clarity, are as follows:

"In a board meeting where there are not more than about a dozen members present, some of the formality that is necessary in a large assembly would hinder business. The rules governing such meetings are different from the rules that hold in other assemblies, in the following respects:

1) Members may raise a hand instead of standing when seeking to obtain the floor, and may remain seated while making motions or speaking.

2) Motions need not be seconded.

3) There is no limit to the number of times a member can speak to a debatable question. Appeals, however, are debatable under the regular rules—that is, each member (except the chair) can speak only once in debate on them, while the chair may speak twice.

4) Informal discussion of a subject is permitted while no motion is pending.

5) When a proposal is perfectly clear to all present, a vote can be taken without a motion’s having been introduced. Unless agreed to by unanimous consent, however, all proposed actions must be approved by vote under the same rules as in larger meetings, except that a vote can be taken initially by a show of hands, which is often a better method in small meetings.

6) The chairman need not rise while putting questions to a vote.

7) If the chairman is a member, he may, without leaving the chair, speak in informal discussions and in debate, and vote on all questions." RONR (12th ed.) 49:21

I would also add that this does not necessarily have to be "all or nothing." A board certainly could choose to use some (but not all) of the small board rules.

24 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

I would also add that this does not necessarily have to be "all or nothing." A board certainly could choose to use some (but not all) of the small board rules.

Agreeing with both Dr. Goodwiller and Mr. Martin, I would add that not only may the “small board rules“ be modified to suit the needs of a particular board or organization, they may be adopted and used by boards and assemblies of any size.

Edited by Richard Brown
Typographical correction

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.