The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Looking For Guidance Re. Non-Profit Org. and Bylaws Originating From 1991

bgreen

I've recently been roped into becoming President of a local non-profit organization.  An original set of bylaws dates back to 1991 with updates current as of 2008.  Being new to this whole operation, some of the wording used throughout the bylaws seems confusing.  The bylaws are 4-pages long with one additional page that explains officers titles and duties.  Would someone on this forum be willing to review these bylaws and let me know how you read and interpret them or if someone could point me in the right direction to contact someone or an organization that could help me with this new endeavor and see whether or not some of the wording within these bylaws should be cleaned up?  Thanks.  I reside in Eastern Montana.

12 hours ago, bgreen said:

Would someone on this forum be willing to review these bylaws and let me know how you read and interpret them or if someone could point me in the right direction to contact someone or an organization that could help me with this new endeavor and see whether or not some of the wording within these bylaws should be cleaned up? 

If there are one or two or maybe three provisions in particular that you find troublesome, we can perhaps help you with those but it is a bit much to ask us to review your entire set of bylaws. In addition, it is up to each organization to interpret its own bylaws. We cannot do that for you.

As already suggested, you might can find a credentialed parliamentarian through NAP or AIP. Those parliamentarians, except for those who are retired, will probably charge you for their services.  in addition, the NAP, which is the larger of the two organizations, has state associations in every state and local units in many major cities (and some small ones!). If you go to the NAP website at parliamentarians.org, and click on the link for “NAP in my area”, you will find a listing for your state and can also find a list of local units in your state. By contacting your state president, your area district director, or the president of one of the local units you may be able to find someone knowledgeable who will be willing to review your bylaws with you. You might even want to join if there is a local unit near you. 

You can also call or email the NAP headquarters and ask them for the contact information for your state officers and for officers of one or two local units near you.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.