The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election Procedure

Guest cmbperc

After seeing some of the discussions on voting I am somewhat confused as to whether our election process is proper.  We use only one ballot to conduct our annual Board election. 

The bylaws read as follows---[e] The ten [10] members receiving the largest number of votes on the general election ballot shall constitute the Board of Directors for the next calendar year.  

The terms plurality and preferential in a few of the other posts about voting led me to wonder about our procedure.  

5 minutes ago, Guest cmbperc said:

After seeing some of the discussions on voting I am somewhat confused as to whether our election process is proper.  We use only one ballot to conduct our annual Board election. 

The bylaws read as follows---[e] The ten [10] members receiving the largest number of votes on the general election ballot shall constitute the Board of Directors for the next calendar year.  

The terms plurality and preferential in a few of the other posts about voting led me to wonder about our procedure.  

You’re a bylaws trump RONR and control whenever there is a conflict. Your bylaws clearly call for the 10 members receiving the largest number of votes to constitute the Board of Directors. That is what RONR refers to as election by plurality, meaning a candidate receives more votes than any other candidate. If that is what your bylaws call for, and it  apparently is, then that is the way it should be done. Unless there is another provision we are not aware of, your bylaws do not require that the winners actually receive a majority of the votes. The 10 people receiving the most votes are elected.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.