The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Member making charges/trial known

Guest FLGator8

If a member is subject to charges and a pending trial can they make that fact and the facts about their charges (including who made them) known to other members if there is nothing about secrecy in the bylaws?

If the member makes there own charges and trial known to other members does that elevate any secrecy requirements on the board of directors or the committee conducting the investigation?

2 hours ago, Guest FLGator8 said:

If a member is subject to charges and a pending trial can they make that fact and the facts about their charges (including who made them) known to other members if there is nothing about secrecy in the bylaws?

If these matters have been discussed in executive session (as they should have been), the member cannot discuss any details from those meetings with persons who are not members of the groups which met in executive session, unless the assembly lifts secrecy. Since this concerns disciplinary procedures, it should also be noted in this regard that secrecy can only be lifted to the extent of disclosing the information within the society, not outside the society (except to the extent that if the member is ultimately expelled or removed from office, that fact alone may be circulated to the extent necessary to protect the organization or other organizations).

The relevant rules on this matter can be found in RONR (12th ed.) 9:26-27 (which discusses executive sessions generally) and 63:3 (which discusses some additional rules pertaining to the secrecy of disciplinary procedures).

2 hours ago, Guest FLGator8 said:

If the member makes there own charges and trial known to other members does that elevate any secrecy requirements on the board of directors or the committee conducting the investigation?

No. The rules would remain the same. The accused may be disciplined for the disclosure, however, and the board and committee might also react by choosing to disclose certain information of its own to members of the society.

1 hour ago, Gary Novosielski said:

I don't see where a member would be prohibited from telling details about charges.

I disagree. If the facts in question occurred during executive session (which one hopes is the case for disciplinary procedures), then it seems to me the information cannot be disclosed outside the assembly which met in executive session unless approved by the assembly. RONR does not grant the accused an exemption from the rules pertaining to executive session.

I suppose the membership could also order that certain information be disclosed to the members if it wishes.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.