The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Length of Session

Tomm

1 hour ago, Tomm said:

I can understand that a "session" may not necessarily take place on consecutive days, but how long of a recess or delay can there be before it's no longer a "session"? 

Is the maximum recess or delay time based on being held within the quarterly time period?

I think that what is said in RONR, 12th ed., 22:7-8 may answer your question.

39 minutes ago, Tomm said:

The Board holds 2 regular meetings a month but was wondering that because there are elections once a year to replace 1/3rd of the Board members whether a "session" was the entire year!

My response was that each meeting is a session?!?!?

Yes, each meeting is a separate session unless your own governing documents provide otherwise.  It would be unusual if they do provide otherwise, but I have seen bylaws that provide that a session lasts an entire year.

7 hours ago, Tomm said:

The question was asked by a Board member.

The Board holds 2 regular meetings a month but was wondering that because there are elections once a year to replace 1/3rd of the Board members whether a "session" was the entire year!

My response was that each meeting is a session?!?!?

Your response appears correct based on RONR (12th ed.) 8:2(2), and the citations from Mr. Honemann, above.

Your board member may have gotten this mistaken impression from several municipalities and higher level assemblies which say that a session lasts a full year. 

But, remember, that a session is not defined based on time.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.