The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Confidential or privacy question

MissM

I’m not sure if this is the right form to ask in but I wanted to find out if it is inappropriate to have a website to post minutes from meetings, bylaws of the association, meeting notices etc. 

Are there rules or laws that state that those can’t  be posted on a Facebook page or a website page?  If so what are the appropriate ways that these can be shared? 

4 minutes ago, MissM said:

Are there rules or laws that state that those can’t  be posted on a Facebook page or a website page?

Well, to answer that you'd need to look at your organization's rules and the local laws. As far as RONR is concerned, though, I don't see anything preventing it. Let's go through them one by one:

4 minutes ago, MissM said:

minutes from meetings, bylaws of the association, meeting notices etc. 

Minutes - the assembly can decide what to do with its approved minutes. It must make them available to members of the assembly to review. There's no rule, unless the assembly adopts one, against making them more easily available. Of course, if the assembly were to enter executive session, those minutes would be separate, and should not be put on the web.

Bylaws - the organization is supposed to distribute them to all members. This seems to be a way of doing it, if available to all. Even if not, though, there's no rule against it, the organization just may need to also distribute them in a second way.

Meeting notices - again, putting them this way may not fulfill the obligation to notify members, but it can't hurt.

Edited by Joshua Katz
added a sentence

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.