The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Waiving fees for an ordinance that hasn't been created yet.

Guest Trish@ironpigsmoke.com

Guest Trish@ironpigsmoke.com

Good Afternoon,

I am hoping someone can help answer a question I have. At a recent city council meeting ( in a small little town not to be named) it was discussed and passed that the city was waiving  application fees for an ordinance that is not in existence yet.  The Ordinance has been tabled but they already waived the fees.... ?

Would that have been in violation of Roberts Rules  of Order ?  should we not first have said ordinance then discuss the waiving of fee's?

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated on this matter.

Thank you.

Trish 

2 hours ago, Guest Trish@ironpigsmoke.com said:

I am hoping someone can help answer a question I have. At a recent city council meeting ( in a small little town not to be named) it was discussed and passed that the city was waiving  application fees for an ordinance that is not in existence yet.  The Ordinance has been tabled but they already waived the fees.... ?

Would that have been in violation of Roberts Rules  of Order ?  should we not first have said ordinance then discuss the waiving of fee's?

While this is certainly a bit odd, I don't think it violates anything in Robert's Rules of Order. This has far more to do with the rules of the council, and possibly also procedural rules in applicable law.

I imagine this unusual procedure was followed due to various previous notice requirements for the council's actions.

On 5/12/2021 at 1:12 PM, Guest Trish@ironpigsmoke.com said:

Good Afternoon,

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated on this matter.

It is a little weird, but I don't think it can cause much trouble in practice.  Now if they had tried to collect fees for an ordinance that didn't exist, that's definitely a problem.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.