The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special Committees

elseygirl

I have a question, and I'll try to make sure I get all the information into this first post to reduce questions from those who may know best.

Special Committees.... Set for a specific purpose and a set time frame, right?

So, if a special committee is created that will span multiple terms of office, can future presiding officers change the makeup of that committee if it was not created by them?

In our case, a special committee has been created for a long term fundraising project (that won't actually start until 2026, but is in the planning stages currently).  I'm concerned that future State Regents might have the power to change the Chair(s) of the committee just because they don't like those currently assigned to the project.

Our bylaws state:

Section 4. Other Committees, standing or special, shall be appointed by the State Regent as the SBOM may authorize as necessary to carry on the work of the Society.

(State Regent is basically like State President.  SBOM stands for State Board of Management.)

Edited by elseygirl

1 hour ago, elseygirl said:

Special Committees.... Set for a specific purpose and a set time frame, right?

Yes.

So, if a special committee is created that will span multiple terms of office, can future presiding officers change the makeup of that committee if it was not created by them?

Assuming your organization's rules grant that person the authority to appoint committees, yes.

"If a single person, such as the president, has the power of appointment, he has the power to remove or replace a member so appointed." RONR (12th ed.) 13:23

In our case, a special committee has been created for a long term fundraising project (that won't actually start until 2026, but is in the planning stages currently).  I'm concerned that future State Regents might have the power to change the Chair(s) of the committee just because they don't like those currently assigned to the project.

Our bylaws state:

Section 4. Other Committees, standing or special, shall be appointed by the State Regent as the SBOM may authorize as necessary to carry on the work of the Society.

(State Regent is basically like State President.  SBOM stands for State Board of Management.)

Based upon the facts presented, I think it is correct that future State Regents will have the power to change the Chair of the committee.

I don't think there is any way to prevent that short of amending the bylaws.

Edited by Josh Martin

11 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

"If a single person, such as the president, has the power of appointment, he has the power to remove or replace a member so appointed." RONR (12th ed.) 13:23

Along those lines, if the bylaws state that someone is appointed for a set time to a defined role, can they be replaced at any time or do they have to go through some sort of disciplinary process like elected people to remove them?

43 minutes ago, elseygirl said:

Along those lines, if the bylaws state that someone is appointed for a set time to a defined role, can they be replaced at any time or do they have to go through some sort of disciplinary process like elected people to remove them?

RONR does not have a clear answer to that question. My own view is that they can be replaced at any time, but it will ultimately be up to the organization to answer that question. I elaborated more on my reasoning on this question in this thread.

Edited by Josh Martin

14 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

RONR does not have a clear answer to that question. My own view is that they can be replaced at any time, but it will ultimately be up to the organization to answer that question. I elaborated more on my reasoning on this question in this thread.

Thanks so much. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.