The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adopt minor changes in bylaws

Aguiberson

An organization has 12 amendments to bylaws to present to the delegates for adoption.   Only one of the amendments proposes a change of any significance.  The other amendments are like striking out "happy" and inserting "glad", for example.  Since it is not in order to adopt bylaws amendments in gross (51:48 fn10), what suggestions do you have to expedite handling the 11 amendments, other than suspending the rule, determine if they wish to remove any from the list, and then voting on the rest in gross?  They tell me another group put these amendments on a consent calendar.  

18 hours ago, Aguiberson said:

An organization has 12 amendments to bylaws to present to the delegates for adoption.   Only one of the amendments proposes a change of any significance.  The other amendments are like striking out "happy" and inserting "glad", for example.  Since it is not in order to adopt bylaws amendments in gross (51:48 fn10), what suggestions do you have to expedite handling the 11 amendments, other than suspending the rule, determine if they wish to remove any from the list, and then voting on the rest in gross?  They tell me another group put these amendments on a consent calendar.  

Nothing in RONR (12 ed.) 51:48n10 prevents the adoption of bylaw amendments in gross.

On 5/21/2021 at 1:22 PM, Aguiberson said:

They tell me another group put these amendments on a consent calendar.  

If something is out of order to do "in gross" in a meeting, I'm not sure how putting it on a consent calendar would make it any more orderly.

51:48(b) in RONR 12th would seem to cover your exact situation (some "agreeable" amendments, one or more "contentious" ones). 51:48(c) covers the approval of *all* amendments in one fell swoop. Unless I'm missing a reference you're making

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 2:22 PM, Aguiberson said:

The sentence to which the footnote applies is the following:

"When these have been voted on, the chair puts the question on adopting the resolution or paper as amended." RONR (12th ed.) 51:48(a)

The footnote is making it clear that this sentence only applies in the case of amendments to a pending item, in which case it would not apply to existing bylaws or anything else previously adopted, since adoption of the motion to amend something previously adopted effects the amendment of the existing text (as opposed to only amending text of a pending proposal, as a subsidiary motion to amend does) and requires no additional adoption.

See the following reference for adopting multiple amendments to something previously adopted:

"It is possible to offer and adopt several amendments to previously adopted text by means of a single incidental main motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted governed by the rules in this section and in 10. See 10:25 and 27:5 for the rules governing whether and how such a motion may be divided. (For an example, see 57:3.)" - RONR (12th ed.) 35:5 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.