The Official RONR Q & A Forums

If a rule in our bylaws is being violated, is it a point of order that I raise?

user

I'm not talking about something in Robert's Rules of Order being violated.

For example, maybe the bylaws states the organization must vote on having a certain number events in a year, however someone else assumes (maybe maliciously) that we are having a specific number of events that year without even having the vote take place.

Do I raise a point of order to mention this?

Yes. Although, of course, the rule is not violated by a person assuming anything. A point of order can be raised to any motion that rests on that premise and would be out of order otherwise. I struggle to think of what that would be, though. But, in any case, yes, points of order are used for violations of your bylaws.

1 minute ago, user said:

What if no motion takes place (because the person assumed we are not voting on this and that it's already set because we did it like this last year)?

Would it be proper to just raise a point of order after they mention it (what if they mention it during a report)?

I think the proper course of action in the situation described would be to make a motion to have the number of events you wish to have. This would be subject to debate and amendment, and would eventually require a vote, as your bylaws require. If the chair attempts to rule this out of order, you could then appeal from that ruling.

Well, the question is, what action are you objecting to? Again, you can't object to someone thinking something. Is money involved? If so, presumably that will come before the assembly. If it doesn't, I would raise a point of order at the point in the meeting when it becomes apparent that money is being spent without authorization, such as during the treasurer's report. Or if a committee report includes "and we spent $1000 of the organization's money without authorization," yes, I would raise a point of order then. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.