The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Privilege that has already been fixed. Can presiding officer call it moot?

Guest Pamela Liston

Guest Pamela Liston

A question of privilege was raised (extra time for deaf persons to vote).  Privilege was granted.  Time was extended.  Someone NOT deaf made a motion to extend time to 95 seconds for voting.  It received a second.  Can presiding officer render motion moot?

The motion you describe is not the privileged motion, Question of Privilege; it is, rather, the incidental motion, Motion Relating to Methods of Voting and the Polls.  See RONR (12th ed.) §30.  I have no idea what the rest of the question means.  RONR does not speaking of "render[ing the] motion moot".  I do not understand that.

8 hours ago, Guest Pamela Liston said:

Someone NOT deaf made a motion to extend time to 95 seconds for voting.  It received a second.  Can presiding officer render motion moot?

When a question is made and seconded, the presiding officer must place it before the assembly, unless he is obliged to rule it out of order (in which case he explains why it is out of order) or unless, in his opinion, the wording is not clear (which doesn't appear to apply here). I'm assuming this motion was not made before voting had begun and that some form of electronic voting was to be used, since it is uncommon to have time limits on other methods of voting. 

Any ruling of the chair is subject to an immediate appeal, which, if seconded, takes the question out of the chair's hands and places it before the assembly for final decision. 

8 hours ago, Rob Elsman said:

The motion you describe is not the privileged motion, Question of Privilege

A question of privilege is not a privileged motion. The motion Raise a Question of Privilege is a privileged motion, which attempts to allow the consideration of a request or main motion when it would not otherwise be in order because other business is pending. I'm certain Mr. Elsman knows this; I only post this clarification for others who may read it. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.