The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Restricting special resolutions ?

suesm

Our bylaw comity is proposing to add this change to the bylaw restricting special resolutions.

'The board may put forward Special Resolutions provided 2/3 of the board are in favor of the resolution'.

My way of thinking is , any member should be able to put forward a special resolution regardless of being on the board. 

or am I interpreting this wrong or is it poorly written?

On 9/4/2021 at 3:03 PM, suesm said:

Our bylaw comity is proposing to add this change to the bylaw restricting special resolutions.

'The board may put forward Special Resolutions provided 2/3 of the board are in favor of the resolution'.

My way of thinking is , any member should be able to put forward a special resolution regardless of being on the board. 

or am I interpreting this wrong or is it poorly written?

What is the difference between a "special resolution" and any other resolution? RONR makes no such distinction.

a special resolution 

Societies Act: an “Ordinary Resolution”, which is a resolution passed at a members’ meeting by a simple majority of the votes cast by voting members or consented to in writing by 2/3 of the voting members outside of a members’ meeting; and a “Special Resolution”, which is a resolution passed at a members’ meeting by at least 2/3 of the votes cast by voting members, or consented to in writing by all of the voting members outside of a members’ meeting. 

as an example a special resolution may be needed to remove a board member 

Thank you for this information.

I think you are right that any member should be able to move the adoption of a special resolution unless something in your bylaws or in applicable law provides otherwise. It does not appear to me that the proposed change to the bylaws will prevent members from doing so.

Edited by Daniel H. Honemann
Added the last sentence

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.