The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Paid expenditure without a motion and vote

margomhl

Was there a vote that went unrecorded in the minutes, or was there never a vote? In the latter case, the organization should ratify (or not) the payment. (But watch out, I may get yelled at for that.) (Assuming that a motion was needed to authorize the expenditure and it wasn't authorized by some existing rule or the like.) If there was a vote and it was not recorded, then the minutes should be corrected.

On 9/9/2021 at 6:52 PM, Joshua Katz said:

Was there a vote that went unrecorded in the minutes, or was there never a vote? In the latter case, the organization should ratify (or not) the payment. (But watch out, I may get yelled at for that.) (Assuming that a motion was needed to authorize the expenditure and it wasn't authorized by some existing rule or the like.) If there was a vote and it was not recorded, then the minutes should be corrected.

I think this is correct. The payment was presumably made by an officer of the society (such as the Treasurer). Actions taken by officers of the society in excess of their authority may be ratified.

On 9/9/2021 at 7:01 PM, margomhl said:

There was no vote and their should have been a vote. 

Then as Mr. Katz notes, the appropriate course of action is to adopt a motion to ratify the payment of the bill (assuming the society approves of the payment of the bill).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.