The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President Resigns - Bylaws are generalized, should RR be applied

Eva S

Here is our dilemma.

The President recently resigned, the 2nd Vice President was removed for not showing, and I am currently the vice President. It was my understanding that the position of the President is different from the rest of the roles and that it is filled immediately upon resignation, unless specified otherwise in the bylaws. 

Below is the only mention of open seats being filled, except during the General Election.

So is the below too general to apply to role of President? Or does 'Any' suffice? 

(b) Any   resignation   of   an   Officer   submitted   to   the   membership   shall   directly   and
forthwith be accepted.  A successor shall be elected by a majority of the Board members.
Such successor shall remain in office for the balance of the unexpired term.

On 9/14/2021 at 6:12 PM, Eva S said:

Here is our dilemma.

The President recently resigned, the 2nd Vice President was removed for not showing, and I am currently the vice President. It was my understanding that the position of the President is different from the rest of the roles and that it is filled immediately upon resignation, unless specified otherwise in the bylaws. 

Below is the only mention of open seats being filled, except during the General Election.

So is the below too general to apply to role of President? Or does 'Any' suffice? 

(b) Any   resignation   of   an   Officer   submitted   to   the   membership   shall   directly   and
forthwith be accepted.  A successor shall be elected by a majority of the Board members.

Based solely upon what you have posted, you are now the President.

Dan - thanks for the quick input. That was my understanding too. 

So even though there is a provision for filling open seats on the Board, the bylaws would have to specifically call action for the replacement of the President? Otherwise it follows Roberts Rules of Order and the VP takes the position and the VP role becomes vacant, correct? 

On 9/14/2021 at 3:12 PM, Eva S said:

On 9/14/2021 at 6:45 PM, Eva S said:

So even though there is a provision for filling open seats on the Board, the bylaws would have to specifically call action for the replacement of the President? Otherwise it follows Roberts Rules of Order and the VP takes the position and the VP role becomes vacant, correct? 

Yes, that's correct.

"In the case of the president's resignation, death, or removal, the vice-president automatically becomes president for the remainder of the term, unless the bylaws expressly provide otherwise for filling a vacancy in the office of president" RONR (12th ed.) 47:28, emphasis in original

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.