The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Submitting a Bylaw Amendment to a Special Meeting

Guest Gretchen

I want to amend my church bylaws to authorize electronic meeting for our Trustee Board, the Pulpit Committee, and the Budget Committee. The amendment Article in our bylaws state that the bylaws may be amended at any special meeting of the organization provided that previous notice is given from the pulpit on two consecutive weeks. We have an annual meeting in December but there is no section of our bylaws that authorize special meetings to be called (admittedly an oversight).  The Article on the parliamentary authority states that RONR may be used as a guide in our church meeting. What is your recommendation (if any) on how to proceed with the amendment. Thanks!

Although your bylaws apparently don’t specify who can call special meetings and how, based on your statement, perhaps an argument can be made the special meetings may be authorized, and are contemplated in the bylaws, based on your statement about the 2 weeks of notice from the pulpit.

Armed with that perspective, I’d consider moving, at your upcoming December meeting, that a special meeting be called for such-and-such a date, at which a bylaw amendment will be considered. If your church approves that, some might consider that authoritative, although perhaps the entirety of your bylaws would suggest otherwise. Impossible, to say, not having seen them. 

I unfortunately have lots of experience with bad church bylaws. Not surprised you’re in such a position.

On 10/8/2021 at 4:31 PM, Guest Gretchen said:

I want to amend my church bylaws to authorize electronic meeting for our Trustee Board, the Pulpit Committee, and the Budget Committee. The amendment Article in our bylaws state that the bylaws may be amended at any special meeting of the organization provided that previous notice is given from the pulpit on two consecutive weeks. We have an annual meeting in December but there is no section of our bylaws that authorize special meetings to be called (admittedly an oversight).  The Article on the parliamentary authority states that RONR may be used as a guide in our church meeting. What is your recommendation (if any) on how to proceed with the amendment. Thanks!

You do have something in your bylaws which authorizes special meetings. Its the Article in your bylaws which states that your bylaws may be amended at any special meeting of the organization provided that previous notice is given from the pulpit on two consecutive weeks. Just go ahead and carefully comply with the provisions of this Article.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.