The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Budget Transfer or Intrepreting the Line Items

Donna S

I am the President.  We have $200 budgeted for "Meeting Expenses" and $200 budgeted for "Video/Technology Equipment for Meetings".  The idea behind these 2 line items was the ability able to do hybrid meetings in the future at a place where we might not have the technology. (Purchase a microphone, speaker etc). Recently, we found a place that will host us and we therefore will not need to use the Video/Technology Expenses.  However, we need to pay for the community room. Do I need a motion for this?  It is an interpretation of the line items. I'm thinking a motion might make things more clear, but not sure if it's necessary.

If I were to do the motion, would a person say...

" I move to pay for the community room for 4 months at $368, monies to come from the Meeting Expenses and the Video Equipment for Meetings funds."

Thanks in advance.

On 11/17/2021 at 12:06 PM, George Mervosh said:

Why not amend the budget then adopt a motion to rent the community room? 

Can I do this without previous notice? 

Would the motion read:  I move to amend the budget to Change the  line items to "Meeting Expenses" and $200 budgeted for "Video/Technology Equipment for Meetings" to Programs and Meetings for $400.00.

Then the next motion " I move to rent the meeting room for $360, monies to come from the Programs and Meetings budget"

Would I need a 2/3 vote on both motions?

On 11/17/2021 at 3:33 PM, Donna S said:

Can I do this without previous notice? 

Would the motion read:  I move to amend the budget to Change the  line items to "Meeting Expenses" and $200 budgeted for "Video/Technology Equipment for Meetings" to Programs and Meetings for $400.00.

Then the next motion " I move to rent the meeting room for $360, monies to come from the Programs and Meetings budget"

Would I need a 2/3 vote on both motions?

Notice is not required unless you have some underlying rule that says so.  Motions to amend something previously adopted, such as your budget, will require a 2/3 vote or a vote of a majority of the entire membership if previous notice is not given.  If you can give previous notice, a majority vote will be all that is needed.

That wording to amend doesn't sound particularly clear to me but take your time and make it clear.

The second motion would seem to require only a majority vote since it doesn't amend a previously adopted motion.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.