The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Requirement for 3 readings

Janis Arnold

Is it correct that according to RONR, S55, a board would make up their own by-law, regarding a requirement for a number of readings before a by-law is introduced OR amended?  For example, it may say in a board's by-laws that 3 readings are required.  But if there is no such by-law, then there is no requirement for 3 readings (along with their prescribed specifications), therefore a new by-law or amendment could be passed on first go-round at a meeting?

I assume you mean a school board (if you say "board" on this forum, it is taken to mean an executive board or board of directors).

I further assume that you mean § 57 "Amendment of Bylaws", rather than 55.

If the bylaws are silent, then the default in RONR is that notice is required and a 2/3 vote. RONR (12th ed.) 57:1(1). An alternative is "a vote of the majority of the entire membership."

So it's not quite correct to say that it "could be passed on first go-round" as notice of motion is required under RONR, although that can be by-passed with a vote of the majority of the entire membership.

But it would be important to look at the exact wording of the bylaws in question, in order to determine if they are actually silent.

Thanks Atul.  I don't have specific by-laws to cite as (yes, it's school boards) we work for many and they all have different by-laws, it's just a general question.  But perhaps a follow-up on what you wrote above '....as notice of motion is required under RONR, although that can be by-passed with a vote of the majority ......'   If the school board voted to by-pass the notice with a 2/3's vote, then the by-law could pass at the same meeting, correct?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.