The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Presidential Vacancy, who's it now?

Justin

Sadly we are dealing with a major issue on our POA Board.  Our sitting President who was also our President-elect passed away unexpectedly on December 31st before the start of his new term. As per our Bylaws we held our election at a meeting in October and officers take office in January (just Jan, no specific date in our bylaws) so he never actually started the current term that he was elected to and we have no official president.  As a board we have the ability to fill "non-expired" vacancies but I'm not even sure that applies in this case. What is the proper procedure to fill this vacancy?

I quoted the sections I refer to below directly from our Bylaws, please help.  Thanks.

The Board of Directors shall consist of a President, Vice President, Vise President Pro Tempore, Secretary and Treasurer. Four additional Board members shall be elected at the annual meeting.  All Board members are required to fulfill the obligations of their position and attend regular Board meetings. The term of office for the Board of Directors shall be two years beginning in January following the election. Terms shall end in December of the second year in office.

Section V - Vacancy on the Board of Directors

Vacancies that occur during the regular, non expired term of office of any Board position shall be filled upon appointment by the Board of Directors. This will be at the Board meeting following the vacancy. It requires a majority vote when a quorum is present.

On 1/9/2022 at 9:47 AM, Justin said:

What is the proper procedure to fill this vacancy?

Unless the bylaws specifically provide otherwise for the office of President, the Vice President automatically becomes President in the event of a vacancy.

So based upon the facts provided, the Vice President is now President, and the board would follow the procedures you have cited to fill the vacancy in the office of Vice President. In my view, those provisions are still applicable.

This is all our bylaws have for VP. 

Vice President

The Vice President shall assist the President and assume the presidential duties in the absence or inability of the President. In such an event, the Vice President will become the acting President of the Association with all of the rights, privileges and powers of an elected President.

Edited by Justin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.