The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Heard someone say that the maker of the motion can speak in debate 3 times and that the maker of the motion gets to speak last

user

I heard someone say that the maker of the motion gets to speak 3 times in debate and the maker of the motion gets to speak first and last, however I can't find anything in RONR to back that up.

I know the maker of the motion gets to speak in debate first. However, I feel that counts as one of their two allowed debate speeches. Also, does it say somewhere that the maker of the motion gets to speak in debate last?

It's hard to prove a negative.

On 1/11/2022 at 1:44 PM, user said:

I heard someone say that the maker of the motion gets to speak 3 times in debate and the maker of the motion gets to speak first and last, however I can't find anything in RONR to back that up.

I know the maker of the motion gets to speak in debate first. However, I feel that counts as one of their two allowed debate speeches. Also, does it say somewhere that the maker of the motion gets to speak in debate last?

It's hard to prove a negative.

Robert's Rules used to say that the maker of the motion gets to speak at the close of debate, but that hasn't been the rule since before the 7th edition (1970).

The current rule is that the maker of a (debatable) motion gets to speak twice per day in debate, just like everyone else, but has preference in recognition the first time he wishes to speak (which is often right after the chair has stated the question on the motion).

On 1/11/2022 at 1:51 PM, Shmuel Gerber said:

Robert's Rules used to say that the maker of the motion gets to speak at the close of debate, but that hasn't been the rule since before the 7th edition (1970).

The current rule is that the maker of a (debatable) motion gets to speak twice per day in debate, just like everyone else, but has preference in recognition the first time he wishes to speak (which is often right after the chair has stated the question on the motion).

Very interesting. Thank you!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.