The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Liaison Definition

graham lascsak

The word ls not defined.  It is used in two places, not in the sense of an office, but in the ordinary dictionary definition of the word--particularly as it relates to communication between units of an organization--likely an artifact of General Robert's military background.

You will find it in 59:65, and 59:82, noting where liaison should be maintained between different committees of a convention.

On 1/13/2022 at 2:38 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

not in the sense of an office, but in the ordinary dictionary definition of the word--particularly as it relates to communication between units of an organization--likely an artifact of General Robert's military background.

Oh, so in RONR it doesn't mean "Pronunciation of the usually silent final consonant of a word when followed by a word beginning with a vowel, especially in French"? 🙂

On 1/13/2022 at 3:57 PM, Shmuel Gerber said:

Oh, so in RONR it doesn't mean "Pronunciation of the usually silent final consonant of a word when followed by a word beginning with a vowel, especially in French"? 🙂

No, nor does it mean a secret sexual relationship.  But neither does it rule one out, if the bylaws are silent on the matter.

I truly appreciate the contributors to the question as posed.  Would roberts rules admin please delete the comments about the french definition?  as well as remove this user from hyjacking future questions?  The question as stated dealt with how and/or where RONR defined a certain term.  To steer the conversation to a foreign language is dilatory to users who are serious about about excising the right to assemble.  When it comes to definitions it doesn't matter the word as long a the body has the word defined within its definitions.  The fact that Robert did not define liaison in his book puts the definition under the bylaws and special rules of the assembly.  Which in our case would be the common understanding of the word in English.  

On 1/17/2022 at 5:06 PM, Guest Graham Lascsak said:

I truly appreciate the contributors to the question as posed.  Would roberts rules admin please delete the comments about the french definition?  as well as remove this user from hyjacking future questions?  The question as stated dealt with how and/or where RONR defined a certain term.  To steer the conversation to a foreign language is dilatory to users who are serious about about excising the right to assemble.  When it comes to definitions it doesn't matter the word as long a the body has the word defined within its definitions.  The fact that Robert did not define liaison in his book puts the definition under the bylaws and special rules of the assembly.  Which in our case would be the common understanding of the word in English.  

Well, Guest Lascsak, the person who made the crack about the French pronunciations (which is a valid dictionary definition in English, by the way) is one of the authors of RONR, so I don't think you're going to succeed in getting him kicked out.  But good luck with that; let us know how it goes.

Alright, now we know i have a pet peeve with off topic topic's.  Im laughing as i go through this and i pick up my hard copy of RONR and see you in the cover.  At the same time this is my first question to the community.  I've actually read RONR twice from cover to cover including copyright info and the index.  I was introduced to Robert in 2017 and am perplexed with how the rules of order are not more common placed than they are.  So as an aspiring parliamentarian with gigs already lining up, my fascination only intensifies with this thread at this point because im the one out of order.  Im constantly going through assembly minutes and public chats and 50% is horse poo poo, so when i got here and felt that with the french poo poo, i was like 'oh no, not more of this'.  I just want the relevant substance but realize at the same time it's not up to me.  So I appreciate your input Shmuel Gerber, look forward to what ever you got in the future, and am moving to another question and with that i yield.  (your honor, too funny).  So ya, won't be trying to get you removed. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.