The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who may make motions at board meetings?

rbk

On 1/29/2022 at 4:12 PM, rbk said:

Is a nonvoting (ex officio) board member allowed to make motions at board meetings for voting members to consider? I see nothing in our bylaws that would prohibit doing so.

Clarification to my original question: Your FAQ says that an "ex-officio member... has all of the rights and privileges of membership, including the right to vote. [RONR (12th ed.) 49:8–9, 50:16.]" However in my organization, our bylaws prohibit ex-officio members from voting.

To back up a moment, an ex officio member of a board is a person whose service on the board arises, not from being individually chosen to be placed on the board, but as a consequence of some other position that person holds. In your organization, though, such people are not members in the RONR sense, in that they lack one of the key defining characteristics of a member: the ability to vote. So your question comes down to whether such a person loses other rights of membership, too. To which the most honest answer is: we don't know. Your organization came up with the rule, and it will need to interpret it.

However, what do your bylaws say about these people? In particular, you've told us they say these officers may not vote. What's the language they use for that? And what is the language creating their positions in the first place? With that, we may have some advice, with the warning that only your organization can interpret its own bylaws.

This is the relevant section of our bylaws:

4.1.  Composition of the Board of Trustees
There shall be a Board of Trustees consisting of ten (10) members, seven (7) of which shall have voting privileges. Six (6) of the voting members shall be Trustees elected to serve three-year terms, or until their successors have been duly elected. The seventh voting member shall be the President, who shall act as Chair of the Board of Trustees. The Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer shall sit as nonvoting, ex-officio members of the Board of Trustees unless duly elected as Trustees.

On 1/29/2022 at 9:23 PM, rbk said:

The Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer shall sit as nonvoting, ex-officio members of the Board of Trustees unless duly elected as Trustees.

Personally, if this is all that is said, I would say (but my opinion isn't worth much as I'm not a member) that they would have all rights of membership, including the right to make motions, other than the ones they explicitly do not have, i.e. voting.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.