The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Script for handling bylaws amendments in bulk?

GigiA

Hi wise parliamentarians!

I need a script for handling bylaws amendments in bulk. Most, if not all, are very uncontroversial, and the membership would like to handle as efficiently as possible without reading and voting on each one individually. 

I know at the NAP conference this was done and people could pull out individual amendments to discuss, but it went quickly so I wasn't quite able to capture how to do that. I've looked in all the NAP script books and haven't been able to find anything that does this. 

Can someone help? I don't want to get it wrong. 

Thank you!

Because of the importance of the bylaws and the possible inadvisability of adopting one or more of the "uncontroversial" amendments, it is best to arrange the amendments logically and handle them one at a time, even if several resolutions are offered at one time with one main motion.  Please keep in mind the distinction between "uncontroversial" and "advisable".  The deliberative process has much more to do with the latter than the former.  Even "uncontroversial" amendments to the bylaws should be exposed to the fullest opportunity for debate and modification.  Otherwise, the assembly runs the risk of turning "uncontroversial" into "unwise".

Sure—I totally understand that, but the group wants to offer them as a group unless there is any objection. Bylaws revisions in the past have passed without any debate and they would like to avoid proposing each and every one individually, unless there is someone who wants to discuss. I know NAP did this in their convention so I know it's possible? Just trying to figure out the correct wording. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.