The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Session and Meeting

Tomm

Our board is required to have 3 separate readings and votes on a motion before it passes (with an allowable waiver option with 2/3rd's vote). I understand that RONR doesn't address the 3 reading process but it has now raised two questions.

1. Even though the entire order of business is completed in one meeting as specified in 8:4, some are implying that the session lasts for three meetings.

2. Others believe that because there's a periodic change in the board (9 member board, 3 of which term out at the end of each year) that that is a reason to call the whole year a session? They believe that just because all unfinished business dies at the end of the year that would constitute a session.

It's my opinion that the changing of the membership at the end of each year has nothing to do with a session but only term limits.

I also believe that each meeting is, in fact, a single session and if the sessions were too last for a year then the Bylaws would be required to specifically establish/state that, which they don't.

Please advise!

Unless your bylaws say otherwise, each meeting is a separate session.  This has nothing to do with whether or not you have some three-reading rule or not.

The only exception you are likely to run across is when a meeting is adjourned to a future time.  The adjourned meeting picks up at the same point in the order of business as it was when the prior meeting was adjourned .  It is considered a new meeting but still part of the same session as the prior meeting.

On 3/14/2022 at 10:14 PM, Tomm said:

2. Others believe that because there's a periodic change in the board (9 member board, 3 of which term out at the end of each year) that that is a reason to call the whole year a session? They believe that just because all unfinished business dies at the end of the year that would constitute a session.

I have seen some public bodies (like City Councils) that define a session as a calendar year. That is not at all what RONR says, but it may be where the "others" are getting this idea from.

On 3/14/2022 at 9:14 PM, Tomm said:

Our board is required to have 3 separate readings and votes on a motion before it passes (with an allowable waiver option with 2/3rd's vote). I understand that RONR doesn't address the 3 reading process but it has now raised two questions.

1. Even though the entire order of business is completed in one meeting as specified in 8:4, some are implying that the session lasts for three meetings.

It's my opinion that the changing of the membership at the end of each year has nothing to do with a session but only term limits.

I also believe that each meeting is, in fact, a single session and if the sessions were too last for a year then the Bylaws would be required to specifically establish/state that, which they don't.

Unless the organization's bylaws or special rules of order provide otherwise, then each regular meeting is a single session, although the assembly may set an adjourned meeting in a particular case. I am in agreement that the three reading rule and the periodic change in membership of the board has nothing to do with the length of a session. Additionally, as you note, the fact that the board completes the full order of business at each meeting also supports the interpretation that each meeting is a separate session.

• 4 months later...
On 3/14/2022 at 10:14 PM, Tomm said:

There are some limitations on how business can carry over from one regular meeting to the next if the term a specified portion of the body ends.  That doesn't impact the definition of session, but follows from it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.