The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Open discussion

Guest Cheryl Domenico

On 8/30/2022 at 11:21 PM, Guest Cheryl Domenico said:

During an open discussion at an annual meeting, can an elector make a motion that was not on the agenda and act upon it after the motion had been second?

I'm not certain what an "open discussion" is or how an "elector" differs from a member.  Is this like an Open Forum (also called the Good of the Order) at the end of a meeting?  41:34 says in relevant part:

Although the Good of the Order often involves no business or motions, the practice of some organizations would place motions or resolutions relating to formal disciplinary procedures for offenses outside a meeting (63) at this point.

So I guess I'd say it was uncommon, but not unheard of.    Or is this even what we're talking about?

On 8/31/2022 at 4:46 AM, Guest Cheryl Domenico said:

Yes it is at the end of the meeting. The elector is a member/owner, not a commissioner/board member. This is at an annual electors meeting. 

Based on this additional information, I would say the answer to your question is yes, the member may make a motion and if seconded and placed before the assembly it can be acted upon just the same if it had been on the agenda or brought up under new business.

On 8/30/2022 at 10:21 PM, Guest Cheryl Domenico said:

During an open discussion at an annual meeting, can an elector make a motion that was not on the agenda and act upon it after the motion had been second?

On 8/31/2022 at 4:46 AM, Guest Cheryl Domenico said:

Yes it is at the end of the meeting. The elector is a member/owner, not a commissioner/board member. This is at an annual electors meeting. 

Yes, unless the organization's rules or applicable law provide otherwise. For a regular meeting, RONR does not limit the assembly to considering items listed on the agenda.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.