The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session votes

Guest Tad P

Hello, can you please tell me what the guidelines are for voting in a Executive Session? Is the voting conducted as am open session? I understand the laws for why a Board might conduct a meeting but cannot understand what may or may not be voted upon and if the outcome is binding.

Thanks,

Tad

On 9/5/2022 at 2:32 PM, Guest Tad P said:

Hello, can you please tell me what the guidelines are for voting in a Executive Session? Is the voting conducted as am open session? I understand the laws for why a Board might conduct a meeting but cannot understand what may or may not be voted upon and if the outcome is binding.

Thanks,

Tad

The only significant difference between the proceedings in an executive session and the proceedings in an ordinary session is that the proceedings in an executive session are to be kept secret (except to the extent that the assembly should later decide to lift this secrecy).

On 9/5/2022 at 1:00 PM, Dan Honemann said:

The only significant difference between the proceedings in an executive session and the proceedings in an ordinary session is that the proceedings in an executive session are to be kept secret (except to the extent that the assembly should later decide to lift this secrecy).

True, so far as RONR is concerned. But if Guest Tad P is talking about some sort of governmental board (as his reference to "the laws" might suggest), there may well be legal restrictions on what can occur in executive session. If so, that is beyond the scope of this forum.

Agreeing with both Mr. Honemann and Mr. Merritt, If this is a public body of some sort which is subject to state open meetings laws  (sometimes referred to as sunshine laws) those laws (Or local ordinances) frequently provide that no votes at all may be taken in an executive session.

For that matter, the bylaws of some private organizations contain the same restrictions on taking votes in executive sessions.

But, as Mr. Honemann stated, absent a contrary provision in law or your bylaws, voting in an executive session can take place just as it would in a regular session according to the rules in RONR. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.