The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaws hired position requirement

Newteach201

Hi I am back! Our bylaws mention a certain position that we would have to hire for. What if we can't hire for this position? Can't find the funds? Or just want to try something different, do we need to change our bylaws? It just says the board directs this person but that direction is limited. That's the only mention of this position. I am hoping we can find something different as this position has not been a good fit.

On 10/3/2022 at 4:51 PM, Newteach201 said:

Our bylaws mention a certain position that we would have to hire for. What if we can't hire for this position? Can't find the funds? Or just want to try something different, do we need to change our bylaws? It just says the board directs this person but that direction is limited. That's the only mention of this position. I am hoping we can find something different as this position has not been a good fit.

Based upon the facts provided here, it seems to me the appropriate course of action if the organization finds that this position is no longer desirable or practical is to amend the bylaws. Unless and until that is done, the organization should make its best efforts to follow its bylaws.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 10/3/2022 at 5:11 PM, Newteach201 said:

What if we don't know if that's what we want but we want to try a change before we commit to a bylaws change. 

Too bad. The organization can't just choose not to follow its bylaws (even on a temporary basis).

Edited by Josh Martin

OP wrote:  "Our bylaws mention a certain position that we would have to hire for. [...] It just says the board directs this person but that direction is limited."

Do your bylaws just "mention" the certain position, or do they require the certain position?  Do they say the position shall/must exist, or that if the position does exist, then the board directs that person in certain limited ways?

Can you provide a verbatim quote of exactly what the bylaws say about it?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.