The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes example for filling blanks

laser158689

On 1/10/2023 at 4:01 PM, laser158689 said:

Does anyone have an example of how the minutes should be written when a filling the blanks method is used?

Generally speaking, the minutes are only supposed to record the final wording of a main motion, so the fact that the method of filling blanks is used will generally have no effect whatsoever on the contents of the minutes.

Such details might be recorded in particular circumstances. An example would be if a main motion is postponed while the question of filling a blank is pending. In such a case, I imagine the minutes may read something like this (adapted from the example for filling blanks provided in 12:95 and the example for recording a motion temporarily disposed of in the minutes provided in 48:8).

Mr. X moved that "That Lodge No. 432 renovate the headquarters at a cost not to exceed $300,000." Mrs. Y moved "to create a blank by striking out of the pending resolution the sum '$300,000.'" The amounts of $250,000, $300,000, $325,000, and $350,000 were proposed to fill the blank. On motion of Mr. Z, the motion, with the pending question of the blank to be filled, was postponed to the next meeting.

On 1/10/2023 at 11:50 PM, Josh Martin said:

Mr. X moved that "That Lodge No. 432 renovate the headquarters at a cost not to exceed $300,000." Mrs. Y moved "to create a blank by striking out of the pending resolution the sum '$300,000.'" The amounts of $250,000, $300,000, $325,000, and $350,000 were proposed to fill the blank. On motion of Mr. Z, the motion, with the pending question of the blank to be filled, was postponed to the next meeting.

it doesn't say explicitly that the motion of Mrs Y. was adopted. (But it is clear that it was) 

another puzzle: 

at the next meeting can more options be given to fill the gap (or does this require a new motion to create a blank?)

On 1/11/2023 at 3:56 AM, puzzling said:

it doesn't say explicitly that the motion of Mrs Y. was adopted. (But it is clear that it was) 

I see what you're saying. Yes, in the situation I described above, it might instead be preferable to write the sentence in question as:

"A blank was created by striking out of the pending resolution the sum '$300,000.'"

On 1/11/2023 at 3:56 AM, puzzling said:

at the next meeting can more options be given to fill the gap (or does this require a new motion to create a blank?)

I suppose this will depend upon exactly what happened at the meeting in question. At the next meeting, depending on the specifics, it may be in order to make further suggestions, or it may be necessary to first adopt a motion to "reopen suggestions." It would seem to me the rules pertaining to closing or reopening nominations would also be applicable to this matter. See RONR (12th ed.) 31:4-7.

I certainly see no reason why it would be required to make a new motion to create a blank. The blank already exists and has not yet been filled.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.