The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Discussion of board members’ prior votes

Guest V160

During debate on a matter, can a member mention how members voted and explained their votes on a prior matter (all a matter of public record) in order to make an argument that the body would be acting inconsistently, or would that be a violation of the requirement to avoid using members’ names or to refrain from speaking adversely on a prior action?

On 2/8/2023 at 10:43 AM, Guest V160 said:

During debate on a matter, can a member mention how members voted and explained their votes on a prior matter (all a matter of public record) in order to make an argument that the body would be acting inconsistently, or would that be a violation of the requirement to avoid using members’ names or to refrain from speaking adversely on a prior action?

In my view, remarks of this nature would violate several rules of decorum in RONR, including both of the rules you mention. These remarks also do not appear to be germane to the merits of the pending question (43:20) and appear to violate the rule that debate "must avoid personalities... The measure, not the member, is the subject of debate." (43:21)

Edited by Josh Martin

I agree with Mr. Martin. I think it would be permissible to argues that the pending motion is inconsistent with a prior action of the assembly, but not that individual members' current positions are inconsistent with their prior positions. Members (and assemblies) have the right to change their positions.

I will note that if the new  motion actually conflicts with a prior motion that is still in effect, that would be grounds for raising a Point of Order, unless the new motion is couched as a motion to Rescind or Amend Something Previously Adopted. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.