The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to handle a muted item?

Guest Dusty Christopherson

Guest Dusty Christopherson

Local Fire District here, at our last meeting, a Board Member made a motion (with a second) to consider an item removing a Board Member on our next public meeting. Our Bylaws require 2 people to support an item on an agenda without the Chairperson's approval. I am a local fire district so we do have to follow local open meeting laws (sunshine laws). Our Chairperson has called an executive session and then a regular session to discuss this particular item in advance of our next regularly scheduled public meeting, where the topic was supposed to go to be heard. I understand I need to place this item on our next scheduled public meeting as well since it was noticed to the public at our last public meeting.

Is there a special way to handle the motion if the Board takes care of it at their special meeting called in advance of the next regularly scheduled meeting? Is there special language or a process relating to muteness? or I saw that a member can object to considering this item if they want to, but is there something that says this item is no longer required? A motion to delete or something similar?

On 3/8/2023 at 12:51 PM, Guest Dusty Christopherson said:

Local Fire District here, at our last meeting, a Board Member made a motion (with a second) to consider an item removing a Board Member on our next public meeting. Our Bylaws require 2 people to support an item on an agenda without the Chairperson's approval. I am a local fire district so we do have to follow local open meeting laws (sunshine laws). Our Chairperson has called an executive session and then a regular session to discuss this particular item in advance of our next regularly scheduled public meeting, where the topic was supposed to go to be heard. I understand I need to place this item on our next scheduled public meeting as well since it was noticed to the public at our last public meeting.

Is there a special way to handle the motion if the Board takes care of it at their special meeting called in advance of the next regularly scheduled meeting? Is there special language or a process relating to muteness? or I saw that a member can object to considering this item if they want to, but is there something that says this item is no longer required? A motion to delete or something similar?

It seems your board is operating in a thicket of special rules and public laws, so I don't think we'll be able to answer your questions by referring to Robert's Rules.

But you should double check your bylaws and laws for provisions relating to removing a board member. It is possible this is not something that needs to involve a public hearing, and there may be other specific rules that apply. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.