The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election to Fill a Vacancy

Weldon Merritt

When notice of an election to fill a vacancy has been given, and the meeting at which the election is to be held occurs, where in the agenda should the election be placed? 

I know that when the bylaws schedule the regular election for a particular meeting, the election may be considered under Special Order. (RONR 41:20.) But I'm not so sure about an election to fill a vacancy, held at a time other than the regularly scheduled election meeting. Should it also be considered under Special Orders, or under New Business?

On 6/1/2023 at 1:17 PM, Weldon Merritt said:

When notice of an election to fill a vacancy has been given, and the meeting at which the election is to be held occurs, where in the agenda should the election be placed? 

I know that when the bylaws schedule the regular election for a particular meeting, the election may be considered under Special Order. (RONR 41:20.) But I'm not so sure about an election to fill a vacancy, held at a time other than the regularly scheduled election meeting. Should it also be considered under Special Orders, or under New Business?

I gather you mean to ask at what point in the standard order of business it should be taken up, and my guess is that it could very well come up incident to the report of one of the officers or the report of the board.  If a nominating committee was appointed, I would think that the election could be held immediately following the report of this committee.  Failing all that, it clearly can be taken up under new business. I do not think that it would constitute a special order. 

Thanks, Dan. Yes, I meant where in the standard order of business should it come up. There was no nominating committee for the coming election, so nominations will be from the floor. But I will be giving a president's report, and will note that we will need to elect a new VP. So I think either of your suggestions would work well.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.