The Official RONR Q & A Forums

"In Camera" Agenda Items

Ann McKay

The Board Meeting Agenda for our very small non-profit organization is normally distributed to Board members and several town Councillors prior to each Board Meeting. As the very  new Secretary for this organization, I have been asked to place two Agenda items in the "In Camera" section of the Agenda. This is the first time I have been asked to do this.  When these topics come up for discussion, the Councillors will be excused from the meeting. However, the description of the In Camera items on the Agenda is almost a giveaway as to what the discussion will be about.  Can I send the proposed Agenda to the Councillors without including the In Camera items?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

What do your state laws  or bylaws say about this?  (Especially sunshine lawyer if they are applicable)

RONR doesn't have any rule about sending agendas  to non members (in fact RONR is a bit against agendas in general) 

So first figure out why the agenda is send to the Town councilors in the first place.

Also the send out agenda is (if laws don't decree differently) just a proposal and can be amended by the board.

On 7/15/2023 at 1:01 PM, Ann McKay said:

The Board Meeting Agenda for our very small non-profit organization is normally distributed to Board members and several town Councillors prior to each Board Meeting. As the very  new Secretary for this organization, I have been asked to place two Agenda items in the "In Camera" section of the Agenda. This is the first time I have been asked to do this.  When these topics come up for discussion, the Councillors will be excused from the meeting. However, the description of the In Camera items on the Agenda is almost a giveaway as to what the discussion will be about.  Can I send the proposed Agenda to the Councillors without including the In Camera items?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

As I understand the facts, the councilors are not members of the board. So it would seem to me that it would be permissible to send a "redacted" agenda to the councilors.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.