The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Which is Society's Assembly here in referenc to Removal of Officer (RNR 62:16)

Jay M

On 8/29/2023 at 3:31 PM, Jay M said:

I wonder which is Society's assembly referred IN " Removal of Officer " ( 12th Edition 62:16)?

Is it general members of entire organization or the body which elect the officers?

The term "society's assembly" properly refers to the general membership of the entire organization. Notwithstanding this, however, if some other body elects the officers, then that body has the authority to remove the officers. The term "society's assembly," I believe, is used here because it is assumed the general membership elects the officers.

I would note, however, that if your organization's bylaws contain their own rules regarding removal of officers, those rules will take precedence.

On 8/29/2023 at 3:41 PM, Josh Martin said:

The term "society's assembly" properly refers to the general membership of the entire organization. Notwithstanding this, however, if some other body elects the officers, then that body has the authority to remove the officers. The term "society's assembly," I believe, is used here because it is assumed the general membership elects the officers.

I would note, however, that if your organization's bylaws contain their own rules regarding removal of officers, those rules will take precedence.

Is there anywhere reference  In Robert Rules saying the body which elects can only remove the officers? 

On 8/29/2023 at 4:00 PM, Jay M said:

Is there anywhere reference  In Robert Rules saying the body which elects can only remove the officers? 

I am not aware of anything in RONR explicitly stating that the body with the power to elect is the body with the power to remove in connection with officers, although the fact that RONR does not appear to contemplate anyone but the society's membership electing the officers may have something to do with that. RONR does have such a statement with regard to committees. See RONR (12th ed.) 13:23. It continues to be my interpretation of the rules in RONR that the body with the power to elect the officers has the power to remove the officers.

I would also again reiterate that if the organization has its own rules in its bylaws pertaining to removal of officers (which if I recall correctly, your organization does), those rules take precedence over the rules in RONR.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 8/29/2023 at 4:37 PM, Josh Martin said:

I am not aware of anything in RONR explicitly stating that the body with the power to elect is the body with the power to remove in connection with officers, although the fact that RONR does not appear to contemplate anyone but the society's membership electing the officers may have something to do with that. RONR does have such a statement with regard to committees. See RONR (12th ed.) 13:23. It continues to be my interpretation of the rules in RONR that the body with the power to elect the officers has the power to remove the officers.

I would also again reiterate that if the organization has its own rules in its bylaws pertaining to removal of officers (which if I recall correctly, your organization does), those rules take precedence over the rules in RONR.

Our organization is coming up with a clause "Removal of Officers" rather some where mentioning the consequences of wrong doings may be result in removal of Trustee/Officer 

Thanks for you guidance Josh

On 8/29/2023 at 4:53 PM, Jay M said:

Our organization is coming up with a clause "Removal of Officers" rather some where mentioning the consequences of wrong doings may be result in removal of Trustee/Officer 

If your organization is creating its own rules on this matter in its bylaws, it is free to adopt whatever rules for this process that it wishes, and is not bound to follow the procedures in RONR.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.