The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Permission to Speak

Guest Southern Fellow

On 9/27/2023 at 9:47 AM, Guest Southern Fellow said:

during a meeting, I want to address members on a personal matter, how is permission asked to the chair? 😎

Depending on what exactly the "personal matter" is concerning, either a Question of Privilege or a Request for Any Other Privilege may be more appropriate.

"Questions of privilege are of two types: (1) those relating to the privileges of the assembly as a whole; and (2) questions of personal privilege. If the two come into competition, the former take precedence over the latter. Questions of the privileges of the assembly may relate to its organization or existence; to the comfort of its members with respect to heating, ventilation, lighting, and noise or other disturbance; to the conduct of its officers and employees, or of visitors; to the punishment of its members; or to the accuracy of published reports of its proceedings; etc. A motion to go into executive session (9) is a question of the privileges of the assembly. Questions of personal privilege—which seldom arise in ordinary societies and even more rarely justify interruption of pending business—may relate, for example, to an incorrect record of a member's participation in a meeting contained in minutes approved in his absence, or to charges circulated against a member's character." RONR (12th ed.) 19:7

"When a member desires to make a request not covered by one of the four types explained above—as, for example, a request to address remarks or make a presentation while no motion is pending—he rises, addresses the chair, and, as soon as he catches the presiding officer's attention, states his request. Although he does not have to wait for recognition and can make his request even though another member has been assigned the floor, he should never interrupt a member speaking unless sure that urgency justifies it. Generally, such matters are settled by unanimous consent or informally, but if there is an objection, a motion can be made to grant the request. If explanation is required, it can be requested or given, but this must not extend into debate. These requests should be treated so as to interrupt the proceedings as little as is consistent with the demands of justice." RONR (12th ed.) 33:22

The form for raising this as a question of privilege is as follows:

MEMBER A: Mr. President, I rise to a question of privilege affecting the assembly. [or possibly "I rise to a question of personal privilege."]

CHAIR: The gentleman will state his question.

MEMBER A: Mr. President, I seek leave off the assembly to address the assembly concerning [description of the nature of the "personal matter."]

The form for raising this as a request for any other privilege is as follows:

MEMBER A: Mr. President, I seek leave off the assembly to address the assembly concerning [description of the nature of the "personal matter."]

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.